Empathy and Love for Grandpa Inspires Teen
Teens, in many ways, connote “trouble.” Neuroscientists describe the teen brain as slow to mature when it comes to impulse control and ability to plan ahead. However, in terms of intellectual power, a teen’s brain can match that of an adult’s. This high school teen’s love for his grandfather stirred him to use his tech-savvy brain to invent a sensor-based digital solution to the wandering tendencies of those affected by Alzheimer’s. His invention is simple yet powerful. Currently more than 5 million Americans have Alzheimer's and one grandfather's challenge inspired a solution that can help those afflicted by the disease.
This summer 2017, we celebrate teen creativity with an innovative summer studio called Game Changers. When inspired, teens provide imaginative insights to solving world problems and come up with amazing life-changing innovations.
inaugural International Camp in kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Game Changers Teen Summer Camp
An Innovative summer camp foR high school design entrepreneurs
Camps Dates: July 31 ~ Aug 12, 2017
Camp Schedule: Mon-Fri 9AM - 5PM, Aug 12th, Saturday Half Day 9AM - 1PM (Dolphin Tank Pitch Day)
Camp Location: Sunway Innovation Lab, Menara Sunway, Bandar Sunway, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Camper Ages: 14-19 years old
Camp Fee: MYR 9,000
EXPERIENCE LEARNING THE SILICON VALLEY WAY
- Have an idea to improve the world?
- Want to build your idea into a business?
- Want to differentiate yourself in your college applications?
- Tired of just complying with school? Why not explore your passions?
- Want to make new friends and work in a fun team?
Do something meaningful this summer
At Young Outliers, our goal is to help you discover your passions, develop your potential, and inspire you to create a better world through design entrepreneurship. For two weeks, find yourself in an exciting learning environment where ideas fill the air and the possibilities are endless. All we ask is that you come with an open mind.
SUMMER STUDIO GOALS
The two weeks you spend with us will be anything but ordinary.
- Learn to think analytically, creatively, and resourcefully using design thinking processes and lean start up concepts.
- Articulate your thoughts and ideas in a safe space, without fear of grades falling or negative social pressure.
- Combine ideas, imagination and insight with technology to build new products and services, all while having fun.
- Compete to get your project funded by angel investors. Kickstart your career in high school. Build an exceptional college application portfolio.
- Connect with peers, young learners, and compassionate teachers. Find happiness in a positive, diverse community.
A fun and exciting summer paying job or community service credit. THE GAME CHANGERS STUDIO CONSISTS OF 5 PARTS:
- Design Thinking - Discover the fundamentals of design thinking. Observe, approach problems from multiple perspectives, empathize, ideate, design, and iterate. Work in teams and learn to build on each other’s strengths.
- Lean Start-Up - Learn to move and pivot quickly using the business model canvas. Build and test a minimum viable product. Determine: "Should this product be built?" and "Can we build a sustainable business around this set of products and services?"
- Digital Media - Get started on the basics of Photoshop, online website-building templates, presentation software and various programming tools. While we will encourage students to learn and use coding, it will not be a requirement for course completion.
- Start-Up Fund Competition - On the final day, present your business ideas in teams to compete for college scholarships and mentor advising. Young Outliers is partnering with key players in 500 Startups, leading VC firm Kleiner Perkins KPBC, and successful VCs in the Silicon Valley to provide funding and feedback on Game Changer ideas.
ALL THE AWESOME THINGS WE CAN BE…
Whether you’re a self-confessed introvert or the life of the party, knowing how to lead and how to get along well with others are indispensable skills. Through the Game Changers workshops, our hope is to see you graduate from Young Outliers with these 10 Silicon Valley traits:
Articulate | Curious | Analytical | Positive | Empatic | Spirited | Persevering | Active | Inventive | Facilitative
Discover the best version of yourself. sign up now and be a game changer!
Camp Daily Schedule:
|Day||Day 1, Monday||Day 2, Tuesday||Day 3, Wednesday||Day 4, Thursday||Day 5, Friday|
|Topics||The Entreprenurial Mindset||Design Thinking||Lean Start-up||Research & Design||Pitching with Angel Investors|
|"The Entrepreneur"||Positive Resourceful||Empathic Inventive||Anylytical Active||Articulate Presevering||Spirited Listener|
|From Gaps to Opportunities||
||Innovative Business Models||Product/Market Research and Design||Teams Prepare Business Pitch|
|Your Passions and Entrepreneurial Possibilities||Product Ideas and Business Models||Angel Investor Speed Meeting|
|Resource Management||Business Pitch Practice||Practice Articulation and Feedback from Peers||Reflections|
|Reflections, Observations, and Dialogue||Product Ideas||Reflections, Observations, and Dialogue||Reflections, Observations, and Dialogue|
|Day||Day 1, Monday||Day 2, Tuesday||Day 3, Wednesday||Day 4/5, Thursday & Friday||Day 6, Saturday|
|Topics||Product Building||Prototype, Testing, & Revisions||Pitch Deck||Practice Presentation & Amplification||Dolphin Tank Graduation|
|"The Entrepreneur"||Empathic Resourceful||Curious Inventive||Analytical Active||Articulate Persevering||Spirited Communicator|
|Activities||Team Games||Teams Prepare|
|Research and Design||Build Prototype||What is A Pitch Deck?||Finalize Pitch Deck Prototypes||DOLPHIN TANK Teams present pitch decks to Investors (VCs)|
|Branding||Present Prototype to Class for Feedback||Teams Create Pitch Deck 1.0|
|Technology Integration||Revisions||Present Pitch Deck to Class for Feedback||Practice Presentations||Reflections and Graduation|
|Reflections, Observations, and Next Steps|
Camp Cancellation Policy:
- January - May 1: Receive a full refund minus a MYR 300 processing fee per session canceled.
- May 2 - June 1: Receive a refund of 25% paid camp fee.
- After June 1: No refunds.
A few other things to note:
- This policy includes all camp cancellations, regardless of original sign-up date
- We will credit refunds to the original payment method
- If child does not complete the camp, the fees are not refunded or prorated for days of camp missed due to illness or injury